On 27 April 2012, Friday at One World Hotel, PJ; the inaugural Backers Audition KL (BAKL 2012) was held between 2pm – 8pm. There were 16 companies represented as potential Backers, namely :
- IBM, Citibank, Air AsiaX, Yayasan Vijayaratnam, Yayasan Sime Darby, British Council, Media Prima, Digi, Celcom, Astro, Berjaya, Lim Kok Wing, BMW, Yayasan 1Malaysia DB, BP Healthcare and Vassetti Datatech Bhd.
Kakiseni would like to thank all the representatives from every company for taking the time and effort to attend. The environment in the pitching room was always warm, buzzed and exciting, as shared by all the performing art practitioners who came yesterday.
Which leads to the next point – a huge thank you to all of the Pitchers who came yesterday! Namely :
- Ramli Ibrahim from Sutra Dance
- Lee Swee Keong & Kuan Nam from Nyoba Kan
- Shanthini Venugopal from The Jumping Jellybeans
- Douglas Lim, one of Malaysia’s favourite comedians
- Elaine Foster, bringing some poetry to the proceedings
- Jo Kukathas and Amsalan from the Instant Café Theatre
- Tapai & Megat, representing Playground Productions (the people behind Projek Disko Baldi)
- Lim Soon Heng & Kien Lee, bringing a little ‘Shakespeare’ with “Shakespeare Demystified’
- Kal Joffres & Team from Tandemic urged everyone to “Do Something Good”
- Govin and Terrence represented TerryAndTheCuz
- Faisal Mustaffa from Rumah Anak Teater, the company behind “Short Eyes”, the multi-nominated show for this year’s Cameronians
- Loh Kok Man from the amazing Pentas Project
- Mark Teh & June Tan from Five Arts Centre
- Melinda Kwong & Fairul Zahid from Aswara on behalf of Dr. Joseph Gonzales
- Yeow Lai Chee from Pusat Tarian Rose aka Soubi Sha
- Anthony Meh, representing Dua Dance Space
- Adeline Lina Yap (Adel) from Platform 2 3/4
- Dato’ Faridah Merican & Yue May representing KLPAC and The Actors Studio
- Richard Chua who came as an individual pitching his idea for a show
- Zhen & Susanna came to pitch for Young KL Singers
- Michael Xavier Voon representing MXV Productions
- Sharmini Ratnasingam, Jillian & Team, pitching for Rhythm in Bronze
- Bilqis Hijjas who came for Rimbun Dahan
- Samantha Chong & Team, representing Kwang Tung Dance Company
- Khor Li Ker & Ng Chor Guan from Dmuses Production
BAKL is for all of you performing artists! Without you, there would have been no BAKL. And for those of you who missed out, fret not – this may be the first but will definitely not be the last!
Stay tuned to Kakiseni for news on this!
For now, check out this LINK for more pictures of what went down on 27 April 2012.
Backers Audition Kuala Lumpur 2012 is in collaboration with the National Department of Culture and Arts; supported by the Ministry of Information, Communications and Culture; and endorsed by PEMANDU.